Total Pageviews

Friday 4 October 2013

Cheese Custard Pie

I have a small memory attached to this recipe.... I was about 12 and it was "Sports Day" in my school. I was in Karate and we had a special performance for the audience where in I was one of the kids to break a tile :(

Small, tiny and feeble me.... scared to the core and never before had I practiced this act I was doomed...  managed to just crack the tile along with hurting my elbow... the show was just a nightmare for me...

Sad and dejected I came back home. My sister who danced to "Macarena" with other cute toddlers in the same event, happily narrated the story to my mother....

My mom condoled me and as a special lunch treat made Cheese Custard Pie.... it was warm, cheesy and moist and I gobbled it up and slept like a baby... maybe it was the meds or I was just dazed with all the crying ... It seemed like the best thing I had...

All these years I have been begging mom to make this pie at home... but she claimed that it wasn't good.... Finally I decided that I should just go ahead and beat some pans and bake this recipe.

Its not the same recipe what my Mom made.... My version has vegies but its quite delightful to eat :)


For the Pie Crust, click on this link for the full recipe:
http://somya-patra.blogspot.in/2013/10/pie-crust.html

I blind baked the crust first for about 10 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius so the pie would remain crispy, after that I made the filling given below:

Filling for Cheese Custard Pie:

200 gms- Button Mushroom (Chopped to cubes)
200 gms- Baby Corn (Chopped- 1 inch)
1 big Capsicum- sliced (1 inch)
1/2 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
2 tsp Olive oil


  1. Chop the vegetables- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Once hot add mushroom and stir. Cook the mushroom on high flame, don't crowd them and spread them evenly. Mushroom will give out its own stock, let it cook in its stock until it starts to brown.
  2. Add capsicum and baby corn, stir fry until done. Add salt and pepper and pour this onto the baked pastry on the pie tin. Spread it evenly and keep it aside.
White sauce:

1 and 1/2 cups of milk
1 and 1/2 tsp corn flour
Pinch of salt

  1. In the same skillet, once the veggies are done- pour milk and stir in corn flour and salt.
  2. Bring milk to boil, stirring continuously, keep on till the sauce thickens to a honey consistency- make sure there are no lumps.
  3. Pour this over the stir fried vegetables on the pie crust evenly.
  4. Grate some cheddar cheese as per your liking on top.
  5. Bake for another 15 minutes until it turns golden, at 190 degrees Celsius.
All done... My family simply loved this recipe... hope you like it too..

Foodie Out!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment